Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Brief Introduction to the Farm: Day 1


Kumu Aina Farm is located in the Big Island of Hawaii, south of Hilo, about 10 miles outside of the town of Pahoa. The farm is about 9 acres packed full of every single tropical fruit you can imagine (plus at least 10 I bet you've never heard of), a solid veggie garden, orchard, goats, sheep, chickens and a pig. The Farm is run by a mid 40's couple, Bob and Terri Mulroy, former residents of Boca Raton Florida.

I got a brief tour around the expansive farm and to be perfectly honest, I ha
d never heard of at least 1/2 of what they grow on the property. I sampled everything along the way, and each fruit I tasted was more delicious than the last. I've taken some photos of everything to help me remember which fruit is named what, when to pick it, how to eat it, what it tastes like and how to prepare it.

My first task- milking the goat- was unfortunately a failure. Apparently Terri is the only one who's ever milked her and she's a bit finicky. I'm going to have to give a lot of TLC to that mama before she lets me any closer to her udders, but I think I will be a pro when the time comes. I also got my first taste of fresh goats milk, and although I was a little weary, it was absolutely delicious. It's a little creamier than cows milk, and I'm really looking forward to having Terri teach me out to make cheese with it later this week!

We picked up some fresh ahi poke on the way home from the airport earlier this afternoon and for my first meal on the farm we made delicious fresh sushi with fresh farm veggies to go along with the fish. It was so good, I plan to document the rest of my meals on the farm because I have a feeling they will only be getting better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool

Elissa said...

i am jealous of cheese-making. post the pics of the weird fruits and veggies. haha give terri as much love as midas and maybe you can milk him.

Lauren Van Hoesen said...

i too am jealous of the cheese making!!!! good luck with the goat..

Alicia said...

I want so many more details than this blog will give me. So excited for the adventure ahead and I am so proud of you taking one step in the direction to becoming Farmer Stan.

Anonymous said...

I read this to midas and he said, "I guess that's pretty cool." Then he licked his butt and took a nap. He misses you stanley...and now he's jealous that there is a pet goat in the mix.

Anonymous said...

btw, did elissa say that you were going to milk terry? How does she feel about that...how does bob feel about that?